1. There is no additional tax and you never tip. The listed price is what you pay!
2. If you want water at your table you are brought glasses and a refillable receptacle (like a recycled wine bottle) full of water for you to help yourself. No need to wait for a busser to refill your glass!
3. The server does not bring your bill. When you are finished eating you proceed to the hostess stand where you simply state what you ate/drank and pay accordingly. It's SO great for groups because each person just walks up and says, "I had the such-and-such and one fifth the wine ordered." No fighting over the bill or getting stuck being short on a big group tip!
Speaking of meals, here is an article I wrote about learning NZ vocabulary. Interspersed you will find photos of the recent Christchurch flower shows...
We recently
went to a BBQ at the house of a new ‘Kiwi mate’ of ours and I wanted to learn
more about this thing called ‘tea.’
Certainly I know what tea is – a hot beverage coming in varieties like
herbal, green and black - but it was more the concept of a meal named ‘tea’ about which I inquired. Like the British,
New Zealanders call the hot beverage ‘tea’ and they also break from work for mini
meals called a ‘morning tea’ and ‘afternoon tea.’ However, the main meal of the day is often
called ‘tea’ and eaten around 5-7pm.
I asked my friend, “So, it’s like dinner?”
“Yes,” he said, “it is the same as dinner. The family comes home from work and school and shares a big meal that is called ‘tea.’ And you might be confused when out at a restaurant ordering an ‘entrée’ because in New Zealand ‘entrées’ come before the ‘main,’ even though I know in the US you call them appetizers.”
I asked my friend, “So, it’s like dinner?”
“Yes,” he said, “it is the same as dinner. The family comes home from work and school and shares a big meal that is called ‘tea.’ And you might be confused when out at a restaurant ordering an ‘entrée’ because in New Zealand ‘entrées’ come before the ‘main,’ even though I know in the US you call them appetizers.”
“OK let
me get the meals straight, so you have breakfast...morning tea... lunch... then ‘tea’
in the evening?” I clarified. “Do you also have something called ‘supper’?
“Supper
comes after ‘tea’ and involves some sort of ‘pudding.’”
“You mean to say you have pudding every night??”
“Well, ‘pudding’
can be any kind of post-meal treat even though you probably think of it only as
a sweet dish with a custard-like consistency."
“So ‘pudding’
means any kind of dessert?” I asked and he confirmed. “Does anything else come with this dessert
course?”
“Why, tea, naturally!” he said, just as I thought I was beginning to
understand.
I guess I need a little more time in New Zealand.
I guess I need a little more time in New Zealand.
No comments:
Post a Comment